(name that musical)
It seems each day a new cleanse pops up online. I love using apple cider vinegar with the mother on a daily basis but sometimes I forget. Like, for 4 months. I was away from home and living out of suitcases for over three months this summer and just felt grody. Like, totally, grody to the max.
I was able to exercise but not like I like.
I was sort of able to eat well but like I like. (AKA, relatively healthy so I can splurge on treats. I don’t do “forbidden foods” very well.”)
Oh, and I gained 11 lbs. That’s fun. The further I venture in to my 40’s the harder it is to get weight off. Y’all, it is rough!
My hands were swollen (my daily indicator of how I’m eating) and everything was tight.
So, I saved my pennies and embarked on a 3-day juice cleanse last week. Dr. Oz’s voice rings in my head when I say that. Back when he was just a cardiologist (“just”) and had guest appearances on Oprah, he mentioned that cleanses are unnecessary because our bodies naturally cleanse themselves. God (he didn’t say God) gave us livers for a reason.
STILL, I needed a kickstart and knew I liked the juices of a local company that sells cold-pressed juices.
Last year I was able to try a one-day cleanse from Humdinger Juice here in Raleigh. I knew I liked all of their juices except Lift. Lift has beets and I don’t like the taste of dirt. Many love this one but not I.
I picked up my 18 juices on Tuesday night and embarked on my three days of juice on Wednesday morning.
Their rule of thumb is to “start with green and end with white.” How you order the in between is up to you. You drink a juice every hours.
This was my order:
Charge (my favorite!)
Here are my random observations. I didn’t do a daily diary or anything but just from memory.
- These taste really good and are all organic and fresh. They expire within a few days and do not freeze well. Fresh, y’all.
- I was never hungry.
- I really missed chewing. I’m a full-on texture eater. I like my ice cream to have crunch. I hate shrimp because I feel the segments. I don’t like mushrooms because of the texture. I did have raw almonds for mid-morning snacks. That helped a little.
- I did have wicked headaches the first few days but that makes total sense. The only caffeine I usually drink is one cup of coffee in the morning so it wasn’t that but probably toxins and sugar screaming to get out of my body.
- I probably broke a rule by having some veggies each night. Again, the chewing thing. I sautéed zucchini in lemon pepper one night and cut up tomatoes and cucumbers the other two nights. So, still no dairy or gluten or caffeine but fresh veggies.
- I slept SO WELL. That Calm is delicious.
- I did have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night every night.
- I wasn’t running to the bathroom all the time as I feared.
- It’s not recommended but I did maintain my regular exercise routine and was fine.
- The swelling in my hands went away. I’m not gluten intolerant but I do know it makes me swell.
- The dairy snot went away. You don’t have that? Be glad.
- I lost 6 pounds. I didn’t go in to it wanting to lose weight but it’s for sure a bonus. I’m sure a lot of that is water weight. I mean, drinking your food for three days can’t help but result in lost weight, duh.
- I was afraid to eat my first meal but everything was fine.
So, overall I’m glad I did it. If I had unlimited funds, this is something I’d do every month or so. I love supporting small, local businesses and I love the story behind Humdinger.
Back in March I did a no gluten, sugar, caffeine, dairy thing and was pretty miserable. I was allergic to the protein shakes so that wasn’t fun. In that journey, I REALLY missed the dairy. In this 3-day cleanse, I didn’t really miss the dairy, caffeine, or gluten at all. I just missed dang chewing!
I’d love to hear your experiences with cleanses or shakes or whatever. There are so many out there.
**All opinions are mine. I spent my own money on the cleanse. I was not compensated for this review.